Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:54:02 -0600

Lots of good help from all of you.

Some clarification and more information.  The bios and Windows reported
64MB memory.  When I opened it up, it had two 128MB dimms and one
unidentified dimm.  I tried swapping them around and found exchanging
the 128MB dimms caused the computer to not boot up (but the power
supply still came on).

There were no new dimms; I was just swapping the dimms that were in it
originally, trying to figure out why 256+ MB of ram was reported as
64MB.

At least once, I am sure I swapped dimms without turning off the switch
in the back.  OOOPS!!!  (This wouldn't be a problem with the old
computers I am used to.  Welcome to the newer technology.)

I did try cleaning the dimm slots and reseating the dimms.  No help.
Checked and reseated all the cables.  No help.

On tip number 5, below, the power supply "power-on" pin reads 42 ohms
to ground with switch off and 13 mv with switch on.  So grounding it
wouldn't be right.  I tried +5 volts from +5VSD to the "power on" pin
and nothing happened, so I am guessing that the power supply may be bad.
Don't have another computer to try it in so Anne's suggestion of
getting National Computer to test it looks like a good idea.

Thanks to all of you,
bruce