Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hardware help Off Topic
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 06:17:07 -0600

* ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx> [2003 Apr 03 22:22 -0600]:
> ATX technology is kind of funny and it makes me wonder why the designers
> decided to still feed power to the mobo when the pc is shutdown.

Wake-on LAN cards?

Probably some other features that aren't popular at this time.  Also,
the design of ATX is such that the line AC voltage is contained in the
power supply.  No more AC running through the case to a front panel
switch.  Of course the original PC/XT/AT supplies had the switch on the
supply and didn't have this problem either.

Sigh.  More complexity for a little safety somewhere else.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and