Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:24:37 -0600

A short while ago gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> hmm...  i use 1280x1024 here and love it...  i couldn't go back to 1024x768
> or (heaven forbid) 800x600 if i wanted to! : ^ )  i've just got my Dell E771p
> 17" monitor, but the size of the fonts (and everything else) is perfect for
> me...

I tried 1280 on this Dell17" but found myself squinting closer and
closer the monitor. When I can afford it I'll buy my own 19". I keep a
couple workspaces and several desktops for all may apps.

> yah, i ran XP Home on this system for a while because it came with it
> installed...  within a few days, i got incredibly frustrated with it and blew
> it away...  i still need to reinstall some form of windows sometimes (gotta
> have my W.O.R.M.S. Armegeddon!), but for now, i'm happy as could be! (esp
> since I finally got around to trying out the CrossOver plugin!)...
> fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), all the
> machines in the lab @ school are windows, so I can do my web site testing on
> them...  i'm very picky (read: anal) about my sites looking the same in as
> many browsers as possible...  i think my current site works properly in most
> every browser that's not based on mozilla (mozilla does some funky rendering
> on some tables for some reason...  it's all W3C-compliant, so i don't
> know...)...

Games on the toy OS, haha. Goes well together. 8)

I tried the Crossover with Quicktime so I could watch the Clint Howard
Variety shows. But for some reason Galeon did not like it or vise-versa.
I'll play with it later.

Tables are bad for layout. Use CSS you'll be more happy.
Play with this site a little to see what I mean.
http://www.neuralust.com/~cac6982/

> up until KDE-2.1 came out, i really detested it, due to it's windows-ness,
> but now I'm really starting to like it...  it's nice having a desktop where
> things work together, rather than against eachother...  but then again, on my
> old P200/64MB RAM machine, KDE could get cumbersome at times...

I used KDE quite a bit pre 2.x. I was even quite active on the KDE list.
But when I switched to Debian I started using WMaker then Gnome and
Enligtenment now Gnome and Sawfish. I am so used to Gnome apps now I
don't want to change. I tried KDE a couple weeks ago, when I was playing
around with Lycoris and Mandrake, but Debian kept calling me back. 8)
Its all what you get used to, I suppose.

rr

--
Randy Reames   randy@xxxxxxxxxx   www.reames.org   ICQ-115274915
Web Developer  Midwest Energy   www.mwenergy.com   Hays, KS, USA