Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:11:26 -0600

A short while ago Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Mar 20 21:54 -0600]:
> >
> > And the shadow makes it intelligent?
> > It may be a cute hack but cmon, they both point. 8)
>
> Oh, I get your point.  ;-)
>
> You gotta admit, though, that unless you're willing to do a bunch of
> hackery with cursor fonts and such, the ever disappearing X mouse cursor
> at larger display resolutions (especially on a laptop) simply sucks.  It
> just seems odd that the shape, size, and color (or lack of it) of the
> cursor isn't under the control of most window managers.  Sure, some
> tweak it a bit, but IceWM, at least, leaves it well enough alone.

True, I've yet to higher than 1152x864. But I'll be getting a new setup
in a couple of months with a 19" monitor. I was using
Gnome+Enlightenment untill recently and E had the capability for
cursor/pointer manipulation, not very easily mind you but it could be
done.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of MS and I'm not suggesting this because
> I want my desktop to be more MS like.  It's just that my mouse pointer
> location skills could be put to better use elsewhere.
>
> Incidently, today I was heard to holler out at work, "Give me Linux or
> just don't even bother!"  Needless to say my brain-dead NT work desktop
> had me going in loops again...

Yecch, I have a couple Windows machines at work I use for Web Site
testing. Thats about the only thing they are good for. That and playing
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

> > I am running Debian Sid with good results, and have recently got
> > anti-aliased
> > fonts working under Gnome. Its a great improvement. Here is a rather
> > large screenshot 240k-ish: http://reames.org/images/screen-3-20-02.jpg
> > Finally legible italics w00t. If anyone is interested I can post how I did
> > it. AFAIK it only works with Debian or other distros not using xfs.
> > I have a GeForce200 at work. I too will try the nVidia drivers when I
> > get the chance.
>
> I have enough GNOME libs installed to satisfy the PAN dependencies, but
> I've stayed away from either GNOME or KDE as I always had low power
> hardware before this box.  It looks like AA is the next thing to be
> conquered and then I hope it's on to mouse cursors after that. :-P

I dislike  KDE but Gnome and Sawfish fair very well on this meager 266 w/
96mg o'ram. Its a loaner from work until I pass the 6months wait to
qualify for the company's computer loan. I had to get rid of my dual 550
Celeron/BP6 setup after my layoff last year. 8(
But at least I got a brand new Dell at work which I wiped clean and installed
Debian on. 8)

But you did spark my interest in getting a shadow for my cursor, to
smarten it up a bit. ;)

rr

--
Randy Reames   randy@xxxxxxxxxx   www.reames.org   ICQ-115274915