Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:41:38 -0600

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 11:11 pm, you wrote:

> True, I've yet to higher than 1152x864. But I'll be getting a new setup
> in a couple of months with a 19" monitor. I was using
> Gnome+Enlightenment untill recently and E had the capability for
> cursor/pointer manipulation, not very easily mind you but it could be
> done.

hmm...  i use 1280x1024 here and love it...  i couldn't go back to 1024x768
or (heaven forbid) 800x600 if i wanted to! : ^ )  i've just got my Dell E771p
17" monitor, but the size of the fonts (and everything else) is perfect for
me...

> Yecch, I have a couple Windows machines at work I use for Web Site
> testing. Thats about the only thing they are good for. That and playing
> Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

yah, i ran XP Home on this system for a while because it came with it
installed...  within a few days, i got incredibly frustrated with it and blew
it away...  i still need to reinstall some form of windows sometimes (gotta
have my W.O.R.M.S. Armegeddon!), but for now, i'm happy as could be! (esp
since I finally got around to trying out the CrossOver plugin!)...
fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), all the
machines in the lab @ school are windows, so I can do my web site testing on
them...  i'm very picky (read: anal) about my sites looking the same in as
many browsers as possible...  i think my current site works properly in most
every browser that's not based on mozilla (mozilla does some funky rendering
on some tables for some reason...  it's all W3C-compliant, so i don't
know...)...

> I dislike  KDE but Gnome and Sawfish fair very well on this meager 266 w/
> 96mg o'ram. Its a loaner from work until I pass the 6months wait to
> qualify for the company's computer loan. I had to get rid of my dual 550
> Celeron/BP6 setup after my layoff last year. 8(
> But at least I got a brand new Dell at work which I wiped clean and
> installed Debian on. 8)

up until KDE-2.1 came out, i really detested it, due to it's windows-ness,
but now I'm really starting to like it...  it's nice having a desktop where
things work together, rather than against eachother...  but then again, on my
old P200/64MB RAM machine, KDE could get cumbersome at times...

gLaNDix