Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Networking problems -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Networking problems -
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:54:25 -0600

The first thing to do is to see if the interface is properly
configured. Use the command ifconfig (you may need to be
root). ifconfig will show you all of the interfaces that you have
configured. You should one labeled lo, that is the loopback interface
(127.0.0.1). Then you should also see one labeld eth0, which is the
ethernet interface. You should see your IP address in that section. If
you don't see and eth0 interface, then that is the problem. If you do,
then it could be an ipchains issue. I would start by having ipchains
turned off and getting the network going, then add the ipchains later.

Steve