Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mandrake 8.2
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:34:26 -0600

* Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Mar 20 21:54 -0600]:

> And the shadow makes it intelligent?
> It may be a cute hack but cmon, they both point. 8)

Oh, I get your point.  ;-)

You gotta admit, though, that unless you're willing to do a bunch of
hackery with cursor fonts and such, the ever disappearing X mouse cursor
at larger display resolutions (especially on a laptop) simply sucks.  It
just seems odd that the shape, size, and color (or lack of it) of the
cursor isn't under the control of most window managers.  Sure, some
tweak it a bit, but IceWM, at least, leaves it well enough alone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of MS and I'm not suggesting this because
I want my desktop to be more MS like.  It's just that my mouse pointer
location skills could be put to better use elsewhere.

Incidently, today I was heard to holler out at work, "Give me Linux or
just don't even bother!"  Needless to say my brain-dead NT work desktop
had me going in loops again...

> I am running Debian Sid with good results, and have recently got anti-aliased
> fonts working under Gnome. Its a great improvement. Here is a rather
> large screenshot 240k-ish: http://reames.org/images/screen-3-20-02.jpg
> Finally legible italics w00t. If anyone is interested I can post how I did
> it. AFAIK it only works with Debian or other distros not using xfs.
> I have a GeForce200 at work. I too will try the nVidia drivers when I
> get the chance.

I have enough GNOME libs installed to satisfy the PAN dependencies, but
I've stayed away from either GNOME or KDE as I always had low power
hardware before this box.  It looks like AA is the next thing to be
conquered and then I hope it's on to mouse cursors after that. :-P

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and