Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host
From: Brandon Poder <xythonix@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:59:40 -0500

Matthew Nawrocki wrote:
> Oh, I think a few gigs (5 GB) are fine for me. It doesn't have to be huge.
> So yea, recommend me a few, bu I do have a shoe string budget, I want it as
> cheap as possible. I do have a domain name for my blog (www.mjnblog.com) but
> it is being used... (duh). Thanks!
> :D
>
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Brandon Poder <xythonix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Matthew Nawrocki wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I was looking more along the lines of actually which servie I
>>> should go to for a good gopher server... and help on setup. :P
>>> Matt

>> suggested

>> (speaking

>> more

>> ability

>> NDC

>> for

>> with

>> How many gigs of storage do you estimate you will need for all of your
>> files and if you are going to have a website in addition running on the
>> same server how much do you think you will store on there.  Also how
>> much are you willing to spend per month for the service?  I can
>> recommend several but some differ in the cost to storage and bandwidth
>> requirements.  Once we get you set up with a host I can probably find
>> some time to help you get the bits and pieces together of Linux hosting
>> by tunneling in.  All of the major hosts offer Ubuntu server which I
>> would highly recommend for the new to Linux users as it has a semi
>> graphical interface for installing and removing packages using
>> "aptitude" or the simple command line "apt-get" as it is Debian based.
>>
>> Sorry for the slow replies I am doing a hard drive recovery on my Mom's
>> HD using Samba service since none of my PC's or servers run Windows :(
>>
>> But I am on long term disability at the moment from my job due to a
>> chronic illness so I can help you get set up in between some other
>> projects I have going on and can point you in the direction of some
>> great *Nix primers.
>>
>> Do you already own a domain name?  If not you can get you one or I have
>> several that are not in use with some registrar time remaining.
>>
>> Brandon

I wish there were more users out there who wanting to run their own
gopher servers as just my personal array consists of 3 Sun SparcServers
an AS400 and a 5 TB RAID and a 2 mb connection.  I could easily script
an easy to use web interface for the hosting and charge very little or
go the Gopher Organization  throw it under a 503(c) user contributed
route and get a dedicated hosting solution and use Xen to divvy it up
into smaller bits with custom control panel but while I am on long term
disability I am on 60% of my salary from the company I work for so I
can't bare the cost without knowing I would have enough users willing to
kick into the bucket.

Brandon