Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host
From: Brandon Poder <xythonix@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:55:14 -0500

Matthew Nawrocki wrote:
> I don't know about that since I have read reviews that seen to state
> the contrary. I just don' like sucky techsupport.
>
> Also... As a free SDF member... I have 80 megabytes of storage. Arpa
> members get the 600 megs.
>
> Matt

VPSland just made a transition of billing and cPanel upgrades and I was
with them during those changes and I just found shooting them a quick
email my issue was resolved quickly.  Those reviews may have been done
during that transition but if you are still new to command line I would
suggest staying with SDF and going Arpa, that gives you a year and I
think up's your GopherSpace but don't quote me on that.  The one time
$39 for the year sure beats any VPS hosting you will find anywhere.  I
left their service (SDF) as a reason of ethics as I am working on a
project now that some "security conscious" individuals would find
detrimental to having their systems tied to.  I use my VPS as a relay
proxy for my AS400 I recently had donated via a private contributer and
project development and research publishing via secure OpenVPN intranet
portal.

An important note to throw out there with VPS or SDF for that matter is
that you have no guarantee to personal privacy under any constitutional
rights as they are not hosted on your own personal equipment.  So
technically Uncle Sam can peek and seize anything about anywhere you
have remotely hosted with the exception of collocation.

Brandon