Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host
From: SiMpLe MaChInEs <simple@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:39:11 -0700

"Matthew Nawrocki" <matthew.nawrocki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wow... I had no idea that SDF was such a tight community.
>
> Oh I do have a quick question... How do I upload files to my
> gopherspace on SDF? The terminal is a bit archaic for me... :-(

SDF is alright.  Been there since 2001.  It's definitely old school unix
- something that appeals to me and helps keep the skills fresh.  I run
NetBSD on my home systems so SDF feels very comfortable.

On the file transfer question, an example:

% cd /tmp
% fortune > oh.txt
% tar cf - oh.txt | ssh me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx "tar xf - -C ~/gopher"
% snarf gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/00/users/me/oh.txt -
Do you realize how many holes there could be if people would
just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

* The "~/gopher" is a symbolic link that gets set up automatically
  when you run the 'mkgopher' command on SDF.

You can also use sftp for an interactive ftp-like method.
For windows users the Putty terminal app has pscp and psftp
which perform similar functions.

Jeff W.