Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 03:44:13 -0300 (ADT)

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Reinier Post wrote:

> > Tangentally to this, ive got a perl script that extends the techtree.
> >
> > What i does is create randomly shuffled techtrees, either very close to
> > the standard tree or you can ask it to shuffle in other genera's of
> > advances (ie. steampunk, cyber, fantasy, ... ).
> >
> > To keep things sane and manageble i clustered techs into tech levels,
> > from stoneage to near future, and then thru 9 future ages to the
> > Singularity (or Trancendance).  Ive got unit, building and government
> > rulesets mostly working as well.

> How do you handle the unit icons?
> It would be nice to have alternative rulesets on a public server,
> but if additional units are kept, clients must have accompanying icons.

I'm guessing somehing like that would need as grand a compendium of icons
as possible. However just to incrementally improve the top units of each
branch of the tree need not require new icons. Afterall your ships do not
suddently changfe icon to show they are nuclear powered some the day you
learn nuclear power. The units could just have more strength and movement
and hitpoints and such but keep the same old names and appearances.

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/