Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:55:48 -0400

I disagree. I think having a standalone executable is much more useful.

Besides if someone wants to build it into server code as a gen-techtree
function, then let them wrap their view of gen-techtree around an exec
call that runs the perl script - a five minute fix including testing.

This is not likely to be used once the game starts, and hence how you
access it or what its performance characteristics are is not of major
concern. "C" is probably overkill, and far less useful in terms of
RAD tweaking of the script as most low-level languages usually are.

The same concept applies to mapgen and probably a lot of the one-off
initialization functions that are never used once the game gets going.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Thomas Strub wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 09:07:13PM +1200, banjo wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 11:23, Mark Metson wrote:
[...]
> The idea from randomly shuffled techtrees is nice, but it would be nicer
> if you would have written it for the server in C. Perhaps gen-techtree.
[...]