Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 00:19:35 -0500

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:23:00PM -0300 I heard the voice of
Mark Metson, and lo! it spake thus:

> I have a game in progress right now in which suddenly there is no point in
> continuing to build libraries because I am already aquiring tech so fast
> that I will have every tech there is before the library is completed.

FWIW, I hit this ALL the time.  I favor long, slow games on huge maps
(y'know, you play an hour or three a night, for about a month and a half;
great fun when playing with a friend or two, when both of you have busy
schedules, but can spare small blocks of time regularly ;).  I
practically never build libraries (to say nothing of SETI, etc), because
by the time I'd be ready to build them, they're already useless.

> This seems an artificiality, in history when we have imagined that
> there is nothing left to learn we have found - in a big way !!! - that
> we were wrong. !!! Big time wrong. Was it in the nineteenth century or
> early twentieth that newtonian physics thought it was running out of
> things to learn? Then along came relativity and quantum mechanics.

Well, sure.  If you will now merely predict the next 15 centuries of
advances for us, we'll stick 'em in   :P

Most people, it seems, play shorter and quicker games, and don't get near
the end of the tech tree.  I've occasionally wished for more tech
expansion, but really, I find it more fun WITHOUT it.  That way, you can
get off the pay-through-the-nose-to-upgrade-units treadmill.

> I am thinking of saving the game, creating some additional techs to add
> to the tree - even if they do nothing in the way of crreating units,
> just call them "space age I", "space age II", "space age III", "space
> age IV" and so on as placekeeps, granting no units, just for
> book-keeping purposes so you know how many techs you are ahead of the
> rest of the planet

How's this different from just "Future Tech N"?

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx