Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:52:51 +0200

Hi!

> FWIW, I hit this ALL the time.  I favor long, slow games on huge maps
> (y'know, you play an hour or three a night, for about a month and a half;
> great fun when playing with a friend or two, when both of you have busy
> schedules, but can spare small blocks of time regularly ;).  I
> practically never build libraries (to say nothing of SETI, etc), because
> by the time I'd be ready to build them, they're already useless.

Is it with default ruleset? It's hard for me to imagine that game, it
might be a very huge map, or special rules, or players really close in
skill. Most multiplayer games i saw got decided usually at
steam/electricity, and it's not rare already at magnetism (especially
duels). In the 200+ games i playted/watched i think i saw 1 when the 2
remained players did nuclear war.

> > This seems an artificiality, in history when we have imagined that
> > there is nothing left to learn we have found - in a big way !!! - that
> > we were wrong. !!! Big time wrong. Was it in the nineteenth century or
> > early twentieth that newtonian physics thought it was running out of
> > things to learn? Then along came relativity and quantum mechanics.
>
> Well, sure.  If you will now merely predict the next 15 centuries of
> advances for us, we'll stick 'em in   :P
>
> Most people, it seems, play shorter and quicker games, and don't get near
> the end of the tech tree.  I've occasionally wished for more tech
> expansion, but really, I find it more fun WITHOUT it.  That way, you can
> get off the pay-through-the-nose-to-upgrade-units treadmill.

I think if we want to change/enlarge the tech tree, another way would be
add more techs into the current period, so make it more 'detailed'. Now
techincal research is a bit linear, and also the wonders. Anyway with
these we might move away from the 'classical' freeciv rules a lot.

The basic idea of freeciv is very nice, but since the original game we
saw many excellent multiplayer games which implemented better certain
areas o the game. I mean eg in startcraft they created a very nice
balance between differenet units, every unit there has a 'nemesis', so
multiple ways available in war (unlike in freeciv, where in the most
cases build strongest sea unit and some transports w/ horse+diplo is the
way to fight). Wonders should be extended also, to give a real
alternative to magellans + happy wonders.

bye, hirisov