Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] rndCiv script

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] rndCiv script
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Oct 2003 22:11:20 +1300

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 04:00, Thomas Strub wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 09:07:13PM +1200, banjo wrote:
> > Tangentally to this, ive got a perl script that extends the techtree.
> >
> > What i does is create randomly shuffled techtrees, either very close to
> > the standard tree or you can ask it to shuffle in other genera's of
> > advances (ie. steampunk, cyber, fantasy, ... ).
>
> The idea from randomly shuffled techtrees is nice, but it would be nicer
> if you would have written it for the server in C. Perhaps gen-techtree.
i don't think it needs to be rewritten in C, but if anyone wants to
that's fine by me, the data files are the important bit.

Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> added:
> This is not likely to be used once the game starts, and hence how you
> access it or what its performance characteristics are is not of major
> concern.

I don't think the server could handle the ruleset being redefined once
the game has run.  Anyway the script writes out the rulesets to a
directory, and maybe this way a cool ruleset can be saved to be
replayed.

The icons for new units would best be handled by ESR's idea of each icon
being it's own file in a dir tree. Has this been done??

Anyway attached is the script, it needs work ( see the BUGS file ), and
i don't think a game can be played with it yet, but it's close and it's
interesting to play with.

--
banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>

-- Type: application/x-gzip