Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Oct 2003 21:07:13 +1200

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 11:23, Mark Metson wrote:
> I do not like the "endgame effect" caused by the tech-tree ending so soon.
>
> I have a game in progress right now in which suddenly there is no point in
> continuing to build libraries because I am already aquiring tech so fast
> that I will have every tech there is before the library is completed. This
> seems an artificiality, in history when we have imagined that there is
> nothing left to learn we have found - in a big way !!! - that we were
> wrong. !!! Big time wrong. Was it in the nineteenth century or early
> twentieth that newtonian physics thought it was running out of things to
> learn? Then along came relativity and quantum mechanics.

Tangentally to this, ive got a perl script that extends the techtree.

What i does is create randomly shuffled techtrees, either very close to
the standard tree or you can ask it to shuffle in other genera's of
advances (ie. steampunk, cyber, fantasy, ... ).

To keep things sane and manageble i clustered techs into tech levels,
from stoneage to near future, and then thru 9 future ages to the
Singularity (or Trancendance).  Ive got unit, building and government
rulesets mostly working as well.

This set is meant to allow different sorts of freeciv games to be
played.

If anyone's interested i can post it to them, or even to the whole list.

comments ??

--
banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>