Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:23:00 -0300 (ADT)

I do not like the "endgame effect" caused by the tech-tree ending so soon.

I have a game in progress right now in which suddenly there is no point in
continuing to build libraries because I am already aquiring tech so fast
that I will have every tech there is before the library is completed. This
seems an artificiality, in history when we have imagined that there is
nothing left to learn we have found - in a big way !!! - that we were
wrong. !!! Big time wrong. Was it in the nineteenth century or early
twentieth that newtonian physics thought it was running out of things to
learn? Then along came relativity and quantum mechanics.

This effect is way too artificial. Or, if not, then the effect should
maybe also be thrown in at other points along the way, such as after you
get newtonian physics have some chance your scholars will refuse to
continue to develop new tech. That is, have other places along the tree at
which an attempt is made to cause you to decide there is no point in
continuing to research.

This is also a waste of my SETI project, I'd like to build libraries all
over the place to continue to take advantage of that bonus, but whats the
point? I am thinking of saving the game, creating some additional techs to
add to the tree - even if they do nothing in the way of crreating units,
just call them "space age I", "space age II", "space age III", "space age
IV" and so on as placekeeps, granting no units, just for book-keeping
purposes so you know how many techs you are ahead of the rest of the
planet and so that in some future space game you can say aha but you see
by the time got to alpha centauri I already had the first twenty-two
space-age technologies.

Or, what I am thinking might be good for growing the game and extending
it, maybe some new techs should require actual in-space experience. Like
maybe once you get to alpha centauri you have sufficient length of
baseline of actual ability to observe from both ends of a distance of
light-years that maybe only by actually having gotten that far could you
manage to figure out warp technology? An option could be added whereby
instead of ending the game upon reaching alpha centauri, Reaching it
could be set up to be something like the apollo project or the manhatten
project, it could grant something to everyone. Or, it could be something
you could keep private, so that instead of automatically gaining whatever
you gained the other civilisations would have to either steal from you any
new tech you gained or actually make an interstellar journey themselves.
Or maybe as well as making it possible for everyone to develop a new tech
(warp? antigrav?) it could also grant to the person who actually gets
there some material benefit, such as the colonists could ship back home a
certain number of resources every so many turns or something. Maybe the
time between shipments could be proportional to the time it took them to
get there.

Basically I do not like it that suddenly after all of history I was aiming
at researching researching researching, suddenly artificially I as a play
- but hopefully not the actual people whose civilisation i am playing -
know that there is no point in further enhancing my research ability.
Plus, notice this is before I have actually quite gotten the last few
tecchnologies. Once I have them, then not only will there be no point in
continuing to enhance my research capacity, I will in fact be faced with
the fact that all my existing research facilities are obsolete. Not
obsolete due to a new development that, like barracks, requires new
facilites. Oh no, nothing so nice as that. Research itself is going to be
obsolete. Like what? Huh? Stupid. At least if we are going to refuse to
find military uses for it how about simply making it that once you have
all the techs all further research is privatised, turned over to the
economic sector, so that all the lightbulbs are sold for cash? That could
give the same effect as if you switched your trade ratios to have 0%
science, but without actually having to do the switch.

I dont actually know yet what does happen when there is no more tech
available, as in will I no longer be able to zet a non-zero rate for
research in the gold/luxuries/science trade-ratios? Will it automatically
turn off the science percentage?

Its is just so artificial. Realitically my civilisation ought to keep on
building libraries and universities, it is a cultural tradition maintained
for thousands of years, and we are not presently threatended by the other
civilisations, there is no warlike A.I. putting pressure on me forcing me
to abandon building research facilities, on the contrary the A.I. is being
so darn peaceful - despite a few of its civilisations been very large and
not so very far behind me in some technologies - that it makes no sense,
culturally, for me to decide hey lets wipe out all the other nations take
over the whole world then worry about libraries and universities later
after we have dominated the world. Its just does not make sense. What I
should be doing is keeping on building as many libraries and universities
as I can, developing all the tech I can - antigravity? warp drive? quantum
computing? nanotech? whatever? - while at my leisure also heading into
space and buying cities from the other nations...

I also think the artificiality is maybe produced by the fact that to
speculate about technologies that we here on Sol III have not yet actually
confirmed the real life existence of means getting into science fiction or
speculative fiction instead of a purely historic game. But hey, we dont
have to go as far as gravitics and lightsabres and The Force and Jedi
Knights, or warp drives and transporters. We could just make a very
conservative standard modpack that simply assumes that all that will
happen will be gradual incremental improvements in existing units and
such. But, I think that it might be a good idea to make some very
significant military stuff that is on a different branch of tech from the
sapce stuff. As it is, heading for space also gives you super-improved
fighters and bombers. Maybe it could be more interesting if there were
also some super-improved stuff available to groundhogs, so that if you
head for space and gain with that a bunch of great new air-capability,
your opponents/competitors might meanwhile instead head into the ground or
into the atoms and get super-improved ground capabilities, or into the sea
and get super-improved sea capabilities.

But however it is done, I would like to see the incentive to do research
continue way past the point where you reach alpha centauri, just so as to
prevent endgame effects whereby suddenly for what amounts really to "no
good reason" your civilisation abandons the pursuit of knowledge. Even if
most players might figure out "aha this that and the other branchs of the
tree will not help me reach alpha centauri" it would be nice to still have
plenty of research still to do right up until the actual end of the game.
Though of course also nice would be to have it set up in such a way it
could easily lead to a while next game - which is why my first stab at it
might simply be to add a long list of undetailed, useless in this game,
"additional tech one additinoal tech two etc" techs that will have no
function other than possibly in scoring the game and in being used for
determining your starting values in some other game such as a "what
happens once you reach alpha centauri" game...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/