Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: lakatosa <lakatosa@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:30:18 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 1:23 AM
Subject: [Freeciv] Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

>This is also a waste of my SETI project, I'd like to build libraries all
>over the place to continue to take advantage of that bonus, but whats th=
>point? I am thinking of saving the game, creating some additional techs =
>add to the tree - even if they do nothing in the way of crreating units,
>just call them "space age I", "space age II", "space age III", "space ag=
>IV" and so on as placekeeps, granting no units, just for book-keeping
>purposes so you know how many techs you are ahead of the rest of the
>planet and so that in some future space game you can say aha but you see
>by the time got to alpha centauri I already had the first twenty-two
>space-age technologies.

The situation in case of  researcing future techs is similar to building
obsolete wonders.
You can get only some bonus points for each. There is no reason to take a=
ny
efforts for future techs.
So, I don't know yet, how will a "future tech" look like, but I'm sure th=
at
it will take some effect.
Some of them will improve efficiency ( =3D> extra shields), or result str=
onger
units, less pollution, etc.

I suggest to give these techs the above effects. They can be randomized o=
you can chose industrial, military or green future techs.

Another method of developing new units would be the "clients desire"
(especially for future/fantasy units).
But it does not fits to much to present civ rules.
It works the following way:
        client: "I would like to develop the following unit
                        name: antigravity fighter
                        picture: ANTIGRAV.GIF
                        attac: 30
                        defense: 10
                        range: 20
                        ..."

        server: generates a new technology of  "Antigravity"
                    attaches the new tech to the tree
                    generates the science ammount needed to develop the t=
ech
                    generates the shields ammount needed to build the uni=

        client: can take efforts to reach the goal

The science needed, and the shield cost of unit would depend on the desir=
ed
attac, defense, ... values.
There is no border of imaging new future/fantasy units.
This action can be taken runtime.

Zolt=E1n Lakatos