Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon

To: Yves Rutschle <yves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tech Tree Ends Too Soon
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 03:36:46 -0300 (ADT)

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Yves Rutschle wrote:

> When all the 'defined' techs are found, you start
> researching 'Future Tech I', Future Tech II' and so on. The
> game does it already.

I discovered that a few turns later. Actually it had a deja vu feeling to
it, I think probably I'd been there before, its just that after 12 or 24
or 26 (or however long it was/is/gets) of solid play one sometimes gets a
bit burned out. :)

> > We could just make a very conservative standard modpack
> > that simply assumes that all that will happen will be
> > gradual incremental improvements in existing units
>
> That would sound like a good idea. Have some generic
> technology branches such as 'military air' 'military ground'
> etc, 'entertainment', and so on, and for example every 5
> 'military ground' technologies your ground units become a
> little stronger.
>
> That would be a good solution in that it allows for a
> potentially infinite development of the game.

I dont think it would be good to only make useful changes every five steps
of useless tech. I already dont like that kind of padding in things like
making the cathedral stuff harder by inserting polytheism. If you're going
to insert something make it do something. Like maybe polytheism could lead
to all kind of "neopaganism" stuff (recycling plus polytheism = ecotheism
or something (allows Gaia Hypothesis, the search for terrestrial
intelligence, wonder = Waking of Gaia aka The Great Work? :))

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/