Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?

To: Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?
From: Ilkka Lehtoranta <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 03:00:33 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Ross Wetmore wrote:

> These are just ways to tweak the rules that aren't quite as devastating as
> allowing fixed cannon free shots at ships standing off over the horizon.

This reminds me of Colonization. There you had stockade, fort or fortress.
Cities with fort or fortress got a free cannon attack in the begining of
each new turn. Game engine took automatically care of this attack choosing
by random enemy ship next to city square and performed an attack (no any
units in the city were needed). Fort or fortress could attack only once
but only enemy ship could lose here. If they missed the ship you no prob,
but if they hit the ship was damaged or destroyed. I think similar thing
could be added to Freeciv too.

In addition attack power of coastal fortress could be tied to current
technology. If you have only cannons it can attack only at power of
cannons, but if you have technology for howitzer then coastal fortress
should have power of howitzer. And attack should be done by server before
new turn begins.

  Greets, Ilkka