Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?

To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:27:00 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Ross Wetmore wrote:

> I think you got it backwards ...
>
> Historically land based cannons were almost useless against ships unless
> guarding a narrow waterway like a river. The range is just inadequate.
>
> Historically ships were always used to blockade ports without fear of
> any attack from the land.
>
> A useful technique would be to let cannon use their *attack* factor
> when defending and fortified. When defending, the attacker has come
> within range.

This would render any attacker useless against a fortified cannon, which
is not right.

I think cannons defending city from ships is almost adequately reflected
in the Coastal Defence bonuses and cannons defending city from land attackers
is more than adequtely compensated by City Wall bonuses.

So instead of the below option you should consider making Coastal bonuses
a bit larger.