Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannons attacking ships?
From: "Eric Levieil" <eric.levieil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 01:58:30 +0200

> > It would be different from current game mechanics, but not less
realistic.
> > The practice of beating down enemy cities from ironclads is the weird
idea

> Not at all. Research the origins of the word "gunboat diplomacy".

I am not an historian. But I think that gunboat diplomacy was between
countries of very different scientific development.
Gunboat diplomacy wasn't use between Western countries.

> Ships carry way bigger guns than those you normally transport around on
> the ground using wheels, and can hence shoot at the latter from a safe
> distance.

But they are vulnerable to single shoot. A hole in a fortress' wall has not
the same consequences that a hole in a boat ;-)