Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Speeding Up Games

To: Ilkka Lehtoranta <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Speeding Up Games
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:42:28 -0300 (ADT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Ilkka Lehtoranta wrote:

> I think there is more sophisticated way to finish games early but still
> gently. This could be achieved by having 'key cities': You win the game
> when you have captured or destroyed the key cities of your opponents.

So far you're sounding OK...

> Key cities could be the capital city and some other cities, maybe chosen
> by server. I.e. every 10th (20th? 30th?) built city could be a key city.
> WHo ever gets them first wins.

Too arbitrary. Its ridiculous. If my 9th and 19th cities are now size 20
and my 10th and 20th are still tiny villages churning out settlers for me
its my 9th and 19th that are key, not my 10th and 20th. Being a "key city"
should be related to actual usefulness, such as my more productive city my
most scientific city my highest-taxed city and such.

Also, wasn't there a long time ago work being done on "essential"
(game-ending if they are killed) units? It might make more sense to use
those.

Or, have an option whereby losing your palace finishes you. Or, limit
where you can rebuild your palace. Like maybe if you lose your palace you
can only build a new one in a city that has a courthouse, if you have no
courthouses when you lose your palace then sorry, you're out of the game.
(Where out of the game means "as if disconnected", not "as if turning over
your player to AI then disconnecting").

Also, with respect to all the "inactive" civilisations, just because you
leave their cities and units lying around on the map need not mean you
count them as existing when checking for "win by eliminating all
opponents". So once everyone is just lying around "as if disconnected" (or
maybe in anarchy) count that as a win.

Hey in fact maybe at any time everyone else is in anarchy could count as a
win even if they think they went into anarchy deliberately just to change
government in a predetermined way? If everyone in the world except you
decides to have a revolution at the same time maybe the result need not be
as predictable as they think. Synergy.

Hmmm I notice you don't get to choose what government will result after a
revolution until the revolution is over. How does the game decide (a)
whether the revolution will ever end and (b) when it does end? It often
seemed to me to be basically a random number on the order of approx 1 to 3
turns. But it would probably make sense for it to be computed turn by
turn, do you have enough lawfulness points yet to manage to take back
control of your civilisation or must it continue in anarchy? Some kind of
computations should be involved, like do you have enough loyal units left
to impose martial law, or enough courthouses left to draft a new
constitution, or enough persons of royal blood left to propose as a new
royal family or something?

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/