Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Speeding Up Games

To: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Speeding Up Games
From: Ilkka Lehtoranta <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:27:14 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Mark Metson wrote:

> > I never figured out what a surrendering AI should do. Should it delete all
> > its units and cities, give away all its cities to the most powerful player
> > it is at war with, or ally this player and break all its alliances with
> > other players? Either way its help end the game, but in the last you get
> > 'allied victory'.
>
> How does one delete cities? Build settlers over and over and over until
> the population goes down to zero?
>
> If you mean arbitrarily delete them in a fashion that human players
> cannot, I say no way, the AI does enough cheating already.
>
> How about simply behaving in the same way as a human player who
> disconnects and never reconnects? Just sit idle. Is that what human
> players tend to do?

I think there is more sophisticated way to finish games early but still
gently. This could be achieved by having 'key cities': You win the game
when you have captured or destroyed the key cities of your opponents.

Key cities could be the capital city and some other cities, maybe chosen
by server. I.e. every 10th (20th? 30th?) built city could be a key city.
WHo ever gets them first wins.

Just my 2 cents :)

  Ilkka