Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Speeding Up Games

To: David Paigen <paigen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Speeding Up Games
From: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:13:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Paigen <paigen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I realize that this is in the category of "how do I
stop playing," but I am interested in what people do
to speed up games.<

Set your ruler to AI with no end-of-turn confirmation
for AI; I frequently will finish a game in 20 minutes
that way. ;-)  Seriously, if you save the game first,
the final score when you do this will tell you how
relatively good your starting position is.  Not
exactly kosher, but it'll save a lot of frustration
for those times you start out on the equivalent of
Iceland.

Now, one feature I would like to see is 'send (all
unfortified/newly produced/air) units to' option(s)
for a city.  (Something like this was in a PC version
of Empire.)  This would really help for wonder
building and for massing troops at the border /
nearest port.  (Air units would be the trickiest,
since you could only move them one or two turns worth
before having to land in a city -- that's why you
might want a special option for them, so you can make
a chain of cities to fly through.)

++JohnWheeler.