Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:58:27 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:36:17AM +0200, Thomas Strub wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:14:56AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > What about enforcing name rules?
>
> I like to have easy rules, the more rules the harder its to play the
> game. When someone wants to name his cities 0x00 he should be able to
> do it.

I wanted this because I hate guys who name their cities "1", "2", "3", ...
or even "1", "1", "1" ... This is done to prevent other players identify
their cities in a reasonable way, I guess. It's fighting with illegal means
for me.

> >   - Only alpha chars in city names (maybe single "-" "/")
>
> St. Louis (so we need dots and with national spellings we need many other
> characters ...)

Ok include the dot. National chars like a umlaut and else of course
included.

> >   - No digits, signs etc.
>
> K2 (Hill in Himalaya), 25 de Mayo, 9 de Julio (both argentine.ruleset)

Exception: Names included in rulesets always allowed

> >   - Only single spaces allowed
>
> Ok this rule makes sence
>
> >   - Name parts at least 2 chars long
>
> 9 de Julio (argentine.ruleset), Freiburg i. Br. (german.ruleset),
> Rossell y Rius (; South America)

Not sure with this one.

> >   - Name length restrictions to, lets say, 25 chars
>
> San Nicolás de los arroyos (26 chars, argentine.ruleset)

30 chars?

> With your restrictions many citynames from the rulesets wouldn't be
> possible. Think it should be possible to name a city like an existing
> place on the world.

Yes, this should be possible.

> Thomas

Christian