Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:04:27 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:14:56AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> What about enforcing name rules?
>
>   - Only alpha chars in city names (maybe single "-" "/")
>   - No digits, signs etc.
>   - Only single spaces allowed
>   - Name parts at least 2 chars long
>   - Name length restrictions to, lets say, 25 chars

Thank you to everybody for the feedback.

I learned that we can hardly avoid all bad names. But maybe we
can avoid the silliest things. Names should have a minimum of clarity
to serve its function for identifying cities - even for the enemy.

I try to summarize the things so far:

PROPOSAL
========

1. Names in rulesets are always allowed.

2. No whitespace except single spaces, no leading or trailing space

3. No Non-printable chars

4. Maximum name lenght 32

5. Minimum name lenght 3

6. Allowed Chars: Alpha, Digits, Signs limited to "-.()/"
   Question: How is "Alpha" to be defined with localization (accents etc)?

7. Signs must be single

Points (1) to (4) are handled automagically by the server, by changing,
removing, cutting. No user interaction required.

Names which doesn't conform with (5) to (7) are rejected.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/