Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names
From: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:31:21 -0400

 Christian Knoke [14/08/2002 04:35] dijo/said:

>> > May I ask: what happens (for X={1,2,3}) if I build a city called XYZ,
>> > and then another player does the same thing?
>>
>> You get a message saying that the name is taken.
>>
>> > What if we both build it in the same turn?
>>
>> The first to build it gets the name. But not in mode 1, as then each
>> player can have its own XYZ.
>>
>> > What if I conquer the other XYZ? Am I forced to rename
>> > it?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>This is a good thing [tm] IMHO.
>
>What about enforcing name rules?
>
>  - Only alpha chars in city names (maybe single "-" "/")
>  - No digits, signs etc.

Sometimes I use digits in city names to denote groups (cities in the
same island, cities with a certain improvement, cities that need
something to be done, etc.). It's dirty but works superbly when you have
a large empire.

>  - Only single spaces allowed

That's fine by me.

>  - Name parts at least 2 chars long

Nope. Some languages do have 1 char wrds. Think of "A Coruña" in
galician or "A Serena" in portuguese.

>  - Name length restrictions to, lets say, 25 chars

I'd say 30.