Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: info on rules change: city names
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:14:56 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:59:09AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Miguel Farah wrote:
> > >This feature can be deactivated or altered through the "setcitynames X"
> > >server option. If set to 0, there are no restrictions (like before). If
> > >set to 1 (new default), city names have to be unique to a player. If set
> > >to 2 or 3, city names have to be globally unique. If set to 3, a player
> > >also isn't allowed to use a default city name of another nation.
> >
> > May I ask: what happens (for X={1,2,3}) if I build a city called XYZ,
> > and then another player does the same thing?
>
> You get a message saying that the name is taken.
>
> > What if we both build it in the same turn?
>
> The first to build it gets the name. But not in mode 1, as then each
> player can have its own XYZ.
>
> > What if I conquer the other XYZ? Am I forced to rename
> > it?
>
> Yes.

This is a good thing [tm] IMHO.

What about enforcing name rules?

  - Only alpha chars in city names (maybe single "-" "/")
  - No digits, signs etc.
  - Only single spaces allowed
  - Name parts at least 2 chars long
  - Name length restrictions to, lets say, 25 chars

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/