Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] FreecivNG (Re: Freeciv goals)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] FreecivNG (Re: Freeciv goals)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:51:02 -0300

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:24:07PM -0000, Dan Ward wrote:

> One other point, has anyone actually got a better plan than Civ2
> compatability? I don't mean generally, wooley statements like 'FreeCiv mode'
> or 'innovation & creativity' I mean an actual plan. Unless someone has a
> definite plan I suggest sticking with the original goal until we reach it
> and implementing a FreeCiv Next Generation project that focuses on
> __planning__ for post-Civ2 compatibility. We don't need a rock solid plan
> just something that keeps us all pulling in the same direction.

Yes, design! :-D I can volunteer to head this project. By now
most people probably realized I'm better at planning and
designing than actual coding. Would we need a different list or
just spam, I mean use, this one?

These are the things that have been thrown around:

- new units, wherever this makes sense (mostly ultratech, it
seems, but not necessarily)

- make it possible for a city to physically grow for very very
large populations

- ocean:

  - chunnels and landfill (transforming between ocean and land)

  - bridges and tunnels (kind of building railroad on ocean)

  - submarine cities

- space (a little far-fetched for now):

  - space stations (in practice, a city with no location in the
  map)

- winning/losing the game:

  - cultural domination (makes cities spontaneously change sides)

  - economical domination (to do with valutas, inflation,
  exchange rates and all these beasts)

- and of course, compatibility:

  - make all these features understood by the AI

  - most of all, make all these features optional, ideally
  individually optional (you can enable some but not all if
  you prefer).

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----