Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: "Mark Wagner" <mark.wagner17@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:32:04 -0500

>The idea of a collection of Lighthouses set around the world is cool :)
>Question: do they benefit only the owner, or everyone inside the radius?
>If we're going for "realism" the Lighthouse was a general navigational
>aid and helped everyone. But yes, womens suffrage should be able to
>be built by any civ, and they alone get the benefits of their suffrage.
>Real life worked that way - New Zealand granted universal suffrage
>nearly 100 years before Australia did, for example (1886 vs 1969).
>But NZ having done it didn't stop the Australians doing it.
>
>I suppose I've always thought of Wonders as partly the sheer construction
>of a big thing, but partly also the propaganda value of having the first
>of whatever. The Hoover dam, for instance, is not particularly special
>as hydro dams go any more, it's more that it was an astonishing feat
>when it was built.

The Wonders of the World should probably be divided up into two groups:
Wonders (Darwin's Voyage, Magellan's Expedition, etc), which can only be
built once, can be captured/destroyed, and reside in a particular city, and
National Projects (Women's Suffrage, SDI defense, etc) which are built once
per civilization, cannot be destroyed or captured, and are not in a
particular city.

Mark

Mark