Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

To: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:06:51 -0600

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:12:51PM +1100, Stephen Hodge wrote:
> > This kind of vague criticism isn't very useful here.
>
> There was no criticism - I prefer Civ2 and Alpha Centauri, that doesn't
> make CTP bad. I still play it, I just find that Icomeack to Civ2 more
> often.

OK.  But eventually, people are probably going to want to incorporate
CTP features into Freeciv.  Saying "CTP isn't as good as Civ2/AC"
(I've never played AC, so I can't very well pass any judgement on it)
doesn't give them any ideas about what is wrong with the game.  Why
isn't it as good?

But, if you say, "CTP is inferior because [blablabla]", then that will
give some direction.

> > Personally, I
> > thought that CTP was a worthy successor to Civ2, but there were
> > definitely things that I didn't like about it:
>
> I agree with you're statements for both games.

I forgot to mention also that the CTP map generator seems to be
seriously brain-damaged.  On one game I played, it placed a large
ice-covered island well into the temperate zone (about one-quarter of
the way down the map), but the terrain at the pole was largely
grasslands and forests.  :)

> I'm not disagreeing, however one of the stated goals of FreeCiv is to
> have a Civ2 compatible mode. I'm not saying I don't want CTP features,
> I'm not even saying we shouldn't have a CTP compatible mode. I am saying
> we shouldn't give up on the Civ2 mode.

OK, I didn't realise that this was being proposed, and I certainly
agree that we should keep a Civ2 mode.

I will note that diplomacy (one of the few major Civ2 features still
not implemented in Freeciv) works pretty much the same way in CTP as
well, so it would need to be added anyway.

--
  -Sean Connor  (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it
is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the
majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be
foolish than sensible.
                -- Bertrand Russell