Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

To: Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:12:51 +1100

Sean Connor wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 09:33:10PM +1100, Stephen Hodge wrote:
> > Jamie Love wrote:
> > > I would imagine that there should be a -civ2compat flag or some such
> > > thing. I mean, I would rather the freeciv team diverged from civ2 rather
> > > than made a complete clone. Heck, why not aim for civ3 - ctp?
> >
> > I'd rather we had both a Civ2 clone/ruleset and a FreeCiv
> > extension/ruleset. As for aiming for CTP - I for one consider it to be
> > inferior to Civ2 (and to Alpha Centauri, for that matter).
>
> Look, instead of generally slagging off CTP this way, why don't you
> make a specific list of complaints that you have against it?

I didn't realise we we're entering a vast debate about it. I didn't even
slag it off - I just expressed a personal opinion.

> This kind of vague criticism isn't very useful here.

There was no criticism - I prefer Civ2 and Alpha Centauri, that doesn't
make CTP bad. I still play it, I just find that Icomeack to Civ2 more
often.

> Personally, I
> thought that CTP was a worthy successor to Civ2, but there were
> definitely things that I didn't like about it:

I agree with you're statements for both games.

> You have to realize that not everybody is going to agree with that
> assessment.  Even accepting, for the moment, that Civ2 is superior
> to CTP, there's certainly no harm in looking to CTP for inspiration
> for new features to add to FreeCiv.  It is up to the implementor to
> figure out what new features are worth adding, which are better left
> out, and which could be improved.

I'm not disagreeing, however one of the stated goals of FreeCiv is to
have a Civ2 compatible mode. I'm not saying I don't want CTP features,
I'm not even saying we shouldn't have a CTP compatible mode. I am saying
we shouldn't give up on the Civ2 mode.

Regards,
Steve Hodge