Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:33:10 +1100

Jamie Love wrote:
> I would imagine that there should be a -civ2compat flag or some such
> thing. I mean, I would rather the freeciv team diverged from civ2 rather
> than made a complete clone. Heck, why not aim for civ3 - ctp?

I'd rather we had both a Civ2 clone/ruleset and a FreeCiv
extension/ruleset. As for aiming for CTP - I for one consider it to be
inferior to Civ2 (and to Alpha Centauri, for that matter).

> The worst thing to do is to be bound to a game that is getting on in
> years, especially when there are genuine improvements that could be
> made.

I really don't think the age of Civ2 is an issue. It's not Quake or some
other game that becomes outdated due to time passing. It's also very
good - better IMHO than either CTP or Alpha Centauri (the so-called
sequels).

Regards,
Steve Hodge