Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 05:15:00 -0600

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 09:50:17AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> Actually, I think it would be nice to have the effects of wonders
> decrease with distance, in a way similar to the effect of caravan
> routes.  Also, the requirement could be lifted that wonders can be
> built only once.

Expanding on this idea a bit, how about the notion of 'civilization
improvements'?  A civilization improvement could be like a city
improvement, except that its effects apply to the civilization as a
whole (but perhaps decrease with distance).  Civilizations can build
more than one, and the fact that one civilization has built one
doesn't preclude others from building their own, as well.

My rationale here is that some of the things classified as wonders
really aren't wonders at all.  Why should only one civilization be
allowed to build the Lighthouse, for example?  Or Women's Sufferage?
Also, some wonders have abilities associated with them that have
nothing to do with that wonder's historical purpose.  Did the Pyramids
really give the ancient Egyptians a granary in every city?  :)

As you were saying, it makes sense for some of these wonders/civ
improvements to have an effective radius.  For example, the lighthouse
(Light only travels so far).  The Pyramids (can be thought of as a
large central granary, but if a city is too far away, it isn't going
to benefit.)  Hoover Dam (It becomes impractical to transmit
electricity if the distances involved are too great).

For some wonders, it makes sense to have them apply to all cities
equally.  Take Women's Suffrage, for example.  Once you've built it,
presumably women get to vote in all of your cities, and in any cities
that you build/conquer subsequently.  So it only needs to be built
once per civilization.  There doesn't seem to be any reason that
another civilization can't build it, though.

Other wonders should remain wonders, though.  These would be things
that strike fear into the hearts of enemies, and/or cause your
citizens to have justifiable pride in their civilization, and/or cause
one-time effects (eg. Darwin's Voyage).

--
  -Sean Connor  (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it
is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the
majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be
foolish than sensible.
                -- Bertrand Russell