Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder

To: martin <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: lighthouse-wonder
From: Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:28:11 -0600

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 07:21:22PM +0000, martin wrote:
> Hello Tomasz
>
> On 26-Feb-00, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 04:42:32PM +0000, martin wrote:
> > I think that when (if) we will make new buildings.ruleset format
> > (one with custom buildings) it would be nice if Magellan and Lighthouse
> > were allowed only at see shore (this weakens Magellan, so its good thing).
> > Hoover should be also allowed only on some terrain (same as Hydro Plant).
> >
> I agree with this ,it would be better to have the rules to stop Magellen and
> hydroplant like the lighthouse.
>
> H2O-rule on/off    at start instead of what I said before.

The rules for hydro plant are slightly different, though.  A seashore alone
isn't sufficient for a hydro plant.  Likewise, a lighthouse still isn't
going to be very useful if the city is near a river and mountains, but
not near a seashore.

(Another idea -- allow the lighthouse to be built inland, but if it is,
it doesn't give any benefits for sea units.  Of course, it would be
utterly stupid to build it inland in this case, but if the player
wants to be stupid, I don't think the game should stop him from doing
so.  :)

On a semi-related note:  Why can you irrigate from the sea?  Salt water
most definitely does _not_ make plants grow!

--
  -Sean Connor  (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it
is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the
majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be
foolish than sensible.
                -- Bertrand Russell