Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13863) Data: Illyrian nation

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13863) Data: Illyrian nation
From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:30:28 -0800

Daniel Markstedt wrote:
 > It looks good in my eyes. The emblem should maybe be made slightly
 > smaller and centered better vertically. I have no internet in my new
 > apartment yet, so I can't work with it directly though.

OK, I'll take another pass at it.

I deliberately put the center high to make it show up better on the
sheild format, although it probably looks a little odd for the 3:2.
But all the elements are "clones", so moving the bottom one will move
all the others.

I used a star to position the circles, and then deleted the star.  Is
there some way to tie the circles to the points of the star?  (The kind
of thing that can be done with a standard engineering drafting program.)
Might be easier than adjusting everything by hand....

It was my first use of Inkscape, and there's a steep learning curve.

I'm also taking a lot longer to research cities than I expected.  When
I started, I knew almost nothing about the area and its history (other
than passive learning from 30 years of games.  :-)

Now, I keep updating en.wikipedia.org as I find glaring (and/or subtle)
writing and (english) language issues, and to correct inconsistencies
between sources.

Heck, just in passing, I spent several hours last night using Google
translator for german to english (I don't know german, but it seems to
work fairly well) and updating the english version of Krk (a place that
I'd never knew existed), when all I'd originally intended to do was add
the Roman/Illyricum name for the island.  (Google is ever more amazing!)

And today I'm inspired to use Inkscape to make the SVG version of its
map, so that it can be added to commons.wikimedia.org, rather than the
several duplicate copies (of a .jpg) used for each language currently.

See, gaming can have a good effect on the mundane world!  ;-)

--
William Allen Simpson