Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13863) Data: Illyrian nation

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13863) Data: Illyrian nation
From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 04:04:35 -0800

Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> Finally, have you checked against neighboring nations for city name
> conflicts?

We could have lots more leaders.  One reference has:

Hyllus (The Star) whose death was recorded in 1225 B.C.
Bardylis - Usurper and founder of this dynasty. Reigned 385 to 358 BC.
Grabus - Attested in 356 BC.
Pleuratus - Testified in 344 BC.
Kleitus - Son of Bardylis. Attested in 335 BC.
Glaukias - Ruler of the Taulanti and then Illyrian king from 317 to 303 BC.
Bardylis II - Attested in 295 to 290 BC he was the son of Kleitus.
Monunius - Attested in 280 BC.
Mytilius - Attested about 270 BC.
Pleuratus - Founder of this dynasty. Attested in 260 BC (?).
Agron - Son of Pleuratus. Reigned from 250 to 230 BC.
Pinnes - Reigned from 230 to 217 BC.
Skerdilaidas - Reigned from 212 to 206 BC.
Pleuratus - Son of Skerdilaidas. Reigned from 205 to 180 BC.
Gentius - Son of Pleuratus. Ruled from 180 to 168 BC.

AFAIK, there were 5 roman emperors from the Illyricum region, which
according to the map includes Dardania, Macedonia, Moesia, Pannonia,
and Thracia.

A lot of the merged cities are Roman Empire.  For example, Gorsium
was founded 2nd century CE, wiped out in 260, and Herculia was founded
over the ruins in 290.  Both of the previous lists I merged had that as
Gorsium-Herculia, so I assumed that Roman Empire was desired -- but
also moved it to the end of the list, as it's rather late period.

The History of the Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire says "the
Illyrian cities of Neyss and Lissa are again found in the heart of
Silesia."  Neyss is near Poland.  That's not ancient illyria.

So, what period should the illyrian nation include?  Pre-Roman only?

That would help cut down the city name conflicts. ;-)
--
William Allen Simpson