Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14343) Data: Egyptian city list

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14343) Data: Egyptian city list
From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 03:17:50 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> Whatever we cannot do properly for all nations, we cannot do. I think this
> by nature of its immense complexity falls into that category. This would
> also apply to nation-specific artwork (we could never add leader graphics,
> for example).

Great.  It seems there is rough consensus: impractical.

What about Benedict's earlier idea: "Londinium|London (ocean,river)"?

Easy to parse.  As research is done, more would be added incrementally.

Whenever a nation takes over a city, it could easily run through its
list of cities to see whether that's listed as one of its alternates,
and switch names.

And possibly more complex, then run down the list of the other nation's
city names, to see whether one of it's own cities is listed.  That way,
listing the alternatives in one file would reciprocally affect both
nations, same as conflicts_with is supposed to work.

So, romans could have Londinium|London, and english could have just
London, or vice versa, and it would still work.

Did the french ever take over London, or do they just call it Londres?

--
William Allen Simpson