Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14343) Data: Egyptian city list

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14343) Data: Egyptian city list
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:19:16 -0800

You implementation has a weakness: It does not support the defining of
alternative names for cities not actually on a nation's city list. For
example, the South Korean capital of Seoul was known as 'Keijo' under
Japanese colonial rule of the Korean peninsula. However, actually
adding 'Keijo' would be way too controversial and not very correct. Or
reversely, if the Koreans were to capture Tokyo, it would be "neat" if
it was renamed 'Donggyeong', the Korean rendering of the name. Another
example is the Vikings who had distinct names for many classic-era
cities and regions, for example 'Miklagård' for Istanbul, a name that's
not actually on the Viking city list for obvious reasons.

BTW, this patch deserves its own ticket. I resolved the Egyptian city
list weeks ago.

-Daniel