Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wanting to help

To: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wanting to help
From: Jérôme Plût <Jerome.Plut@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:51:55 +0100

Decimo septimo Kalendas Decembres MMV scripsit Per Inge Mathisen :
> This is of great interest. As Jason said, you should work against the most
> recent version in the svn repostory, though.

Thank you all for your kind answers,

I am downloading right now from SVN and will hopefully post some patch
proposals soon. (It will need a bit of work to split my one big
patch).

> I see no reason for this. I cannot think of any sane way to implement
> stack combat. Some kind of bodyguard stack moves might be of interest,
> though.

What I thought was that the front-line units (from Phalanx to Armor)
would fight while getting bombed by rear-line units from the opposite
side (Archer to Howitzer). This is an incentive to build balanced
armies (as a lone Archer is dead meat, but Phalanx + Archer could
probably be superior to two Phalanxes).

> Nations should be used for MoM races. There is no point in adding an
> additonal system...

Can the nations allow for different unit trees? And in MoM it is
possible to have two players both select the same starting species.
IMHO, different species allow for an even bigger replay value...

> >  - add other planes (MoM has Arcanus and Myrror, CTP has Ground
> >  and Space, although they behave quite differently, at least some
> >  code could be factored).
>
> Ugh. No. Please.

I do not intend to write this in foreseeable future :-) But I thought
a bit about it and, cleanly written as is the code right now, this
would not even be that big a problem, since struct tile is well
encapsulated. (except, of course, the AI would need a bit of nursing).

--
        Jérôme Plût