Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wanting to help

To: Jérôme Plût <Jerome.Plut@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wanting to help
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:19:03 -0500

Jérôme Plût wrote:
Hi Freeciv developers,

I started hacking at the FreeCiv code (I only had 2.0.1, but will port
whatever could be of interest to you to 2.0.7) in order to prepare it
to be able to simulate (or rather, update) an old game which a lot of
Freecivers probably appreciate much, that is, Master of Magic. Now I
know that Master of Magic must obviously be a rather recurrent project
(as is shown in the wiki) but, firstly I don't want a clone but an
update, a project that would be able to take advantage of FreeCiv's
magnificent features :-), and I don't want to fork a MoM-like outright
but rather contribute as much code as possible to mainstream FreeCiv,
since there are some improvements that could probably be rather useful
to FreeCiv itself (if you want to emulate Civ3/CTP, don't know about
Civ4), and _then_ think about a fork.

Individual features will have to be handled on a case-by-case basis, but in general we are interested in supporting more MoM-like behavior and eventually in having a MoM ruleset.

However, you need to work off of the development version, not 2.0.x. Substantial changes to the core code have been made, many of which will make it easier to support MoM features. Get the current code from svn.

-jason