Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) include pubserver jobs v5

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) include pubserver jobs v5
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:48:07 -0700

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> > disallowing taking on savegames is awful. Basically it means that you can't
> > offer prebuilt scenarios or "classic" games on pubserver, which I think is
> > one of the primary reasons to even offer game loading.
>
> But those have game.is_new_game set so taking is allowed.

Do they? I thought all savegames had that set to false. Anyway, it also
checks for a non-default username, and savegames meant for scenarios and
general usage should have default usernames. So this will in no way
prevent scenarios or classic savegames.

> > Of course we can do better than that. The savegame stores the game number.
> > Once that game (via number) is scored, it cannot be scored again. I don't
> > think that's too hard do you?

The savegame does not store the game number, and why should the winner be
determined the moment the server (for any reason) goes down or is take
down? The idea behind save+load was that if the server went down you could
resume the game with original players and play the game to finish, and
then determine the winner. Of course, once a winner has been declared, it
cannot be declared again.

  - Per