Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) RFC: pubserver-in-a-diff

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) RFC: pubserver-in-a-diff
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 03:56:42 -0700

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > Since the server anyway has a direct link to the mysql db here, why not
> > just insert the game results into the db directly, instead of going the
> > way of parsing the gamelog?
>
> that's possible, but that means putting ranking policy into the server

Not necessarily. You can insert the game results into the database, the
same stuff you dump into gamelog, and let an external script trawl the
database to generate rankings.

> > I have no problem with making both authentication and pubserver mode
> > require mysql, BTW. In terms of third-party usability, it will be
> > light-years ahead of what we (do not) have now anyway.
>
> As I might have already made clear, I'm not all that hot on a "pubserver"
> mode in the server. I think we ought to be very careful how much we change
> the default codebase so we can run pubserver.

What is your alternative? That we keep the patch separate, and apply it to
pubserver only? Will you volunteer then to keeping the patch up to date
and log on to pubserver every few days to fix compile problems?

If the current approach worked well, I would not spend any time on this -
it is way outside what really interest me with Freeciv. However, pubserver
is currently too fragile and too unmaintainable, and lacks necessary
features. The need to update it has become urgent, and we have no
administrators who have the time to update the massive collection of
script glue that make up pubserver today, so we need to move some
functionality in where we can maintain it.

  - Per