Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) include pubserver jobs v5

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13262) include pubserver jobs v5
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:10:33 -0700

Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:26:16AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>Either you allow taking, in which case you have to do scoring based on
>>the new user not the original user, or you don't allow taking in which
>>case scoring is easy but continuing games is hard because you can't
>>substitute.  Taking in a savegame isn't much different than taking in a
>>running game - even in a running game your player can be "taken over" by
>>another user if you happen to get disconnected for a moment (though
>>obviously few users would do this).
>

> disallowing taking on savegames is awful. Basically it means that you can't
> offer prebuilt scenarios or "classic" games on pubserver, which I think is
> one of the primary reasons to even offer game loading.

But those have game.is_new_game set so taking is allowed.

However I think for scenarios the nation selection dialog would be a
better method of choosing your nation than /take.  Maybe.  However we do
it, it really needs a GUI interface.

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:39:15AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>>
>>>much better to allow scoring only one time per game instance
>>
>>How would this solve scoring for long games, where the server would go
>>down (planned or otherwise) during the game? Should we just decree that
>>once the server goes down, the scoring ends there? I think we can do
>>better than that.
>
> Of course we can do better than that. The savegame stores the game number.
> Once that game (via number) is scored, it cannot be scored again. I don't
> think that's too hard do you?

So you can play it many times but only score it once?

>>>but in fact this will not work, since the user who started the game will
>>>be credited with the win not the user who is doing the taking.
>>
>>I do not understand this.
>
> For the "new" gamelog system, the user who plays the first 10 turns or so
> is the user who is scored, not any other user who joins (or takes) later.
> So your scenario of abuse is just not feasible (it would boost the original
> user's score though, without a protection which I outlined above).

Then there's even more potential for abuse.  Someone can hijack your
savegame and play it to give you a loss.

>>>I'd say that this is a poor solution for the problem. The better solution
>>>is on the scoring end.
>>
>>I do not see a solution on the scoring end. Do you?
>
> The one I mentioned above. The pubserver scripts will do the job, not the
> server.

But I don't understand what "the job" is.

-jason