Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 04:28:29 -0800

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:56:57AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > >- remove "You have founded %s"
> >
> > Not ok. People may want to save a game log and these things are important
> > for a gamelog.
>
> I did not remove this from the gamelog. Event messages aren't saved to the
> gamelog. Are you thinking about something else?

Hi,

to address the problems of too many messages, you should not ripe out
anything you don't find usefull. Fx, I use that messages, by scrolling back
the chat window, to check for things I missed. Also, once they are gone it
will we much work to create them anew (translations!). Also, whether you are
interested in a message depends much of your level of expierience. Think of
a newbie exploring the game, she will be glad to find descriptions of what
is going on. Or the phase of the game is important.

A better way to achieve this is by message options imho. You're right that
this dialog is a bit hard right now. Think of regrouping the messages and
reduce the number of groups. Importance can be a selector. And maybe create
message levels: newbie, expierienced, veteran.

Christian