Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:56:33 -0800

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > > Not ok. People may want to save a game log and these things are important
> > > for a gamelog.
> >
> > I did not remove this from the gamelog. Event messages aren't saved to the
> > gamelog. Are you thinking about something else?
>
> I'm just saying that individual clients may want to keep a log.

They have not done so in the past, AFAIK. Clients can write such events to
a client gamelog even though they don't get the string from the server
(they know what happened from other packets). But if you really think this
is a crucial argument, I can find a way to mark them as debug messages and
a way to output debug messages (similar to /debug in the server). I just
want them gone from the player display.

> > It is nice when setting AIs to a given difficulty, but when you 1) already
> > have specified the difficulty, and b) specified how many AIs you want, you
> > do not need to see the above messages once for every AI created. For a
>
> This is false for a multiplayer game, where someone may change a setting
> unknown to you.

Not a concern. These messages are only emitted when game is starting with
'maxplayers' option set.

  - Per