Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 01:56:57 -0800

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> >- remove "You have founded %s"
>
> Not ok. People may want to save a game log and these things are important
> for a gamelog.

I did not remove this from the gamelog. Event messages aren't saved to the
gamelog. Are you thinking about something else?

> >- remove "%s is the %s ruler %s." when autocreating AI players
>
> Questionable (this message only shows up once, so won't clutter the
> display).
> >- remove AI skill level notify when autocreating AI players
>
> Questionable. The feedback is nice.

It is nice when setting AIs to a given difficulty, but when you 1) already
have specified the difficulty, and b) specified how many AIs you want, you
do not need to see the above messages once for every AI created. For a
larger amount of AIs, it really clutters the chat window.

> Or, it is useful for debugging or other logging purposes. But not during
> regular play. Those messages should still exist in some form.

We can output them to gamelog instead then.

> > Q: But surely the message window options dialog is still dauting and
> > user-hostile?
> >
> > A: I have just started...
>
> The idea seems reasonable, but I suspect you will need to add event
> categories to really cleanup the default list.

Maybe. We'll see.

  - Per