Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12099) Prune unnecessary server messages
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:22:33 -0800

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > >- remove "You have founded %s"
> >
> > Not ok. People may want to save a game log and these things are important
> > for a gamelog.
>
> I did not remove this from the gamelog. Event messages aren't saved to the
> gamelog. Are you thinking about something else?

I'm just saying that individual clients may want to keep a log.

> > >- remove "%s is the %s ruler %s." when autocreating AI players
> >
> > Questionable (this message only shows up once, so won't clutter the
> > display).
> > >- remove AI skill level notify when autocreating AI players
> >
> > Questionable. The feedback is nice.
>
> It is nice when setting AIs to a given difficulty, but when you 1) already
> have specified the difficulty, and b) specified how many AIs you want, you
> do not need to see the above messages once for every AI created. For a

This is false for a multiplayer game, where someone may change a setting
unknown to you.

> larger amount of AIs, it really clutters the chat window.

In that case, make the message shorter by grouping all those lines into a
single one. e.g. "Created X AI nations/players" or "Assigned nations to
X AI players".

> > Or, it is useful for debugging or other logging purposes. But not during
> > regular play. Those messages should still exist in some form.
>
> We can output them to gamelog instead then.

Like I said, an individual client may want to keep a log.

> > > Q: But surely the message window options dialog is still dauting and
> > > user-hostile?
> > >
> > > A: I have just started...
> >
> > The idea seems reasonable, but I suspect you will need to add event
> > categories to really cleanup the default list.
>
> Maybe. We'll see.

I suspect you will. Much like Fedora gives you 4 default setups, Desktop,
Workstation, Server or Custom (where you can manually select each
package, contrary to the other 3).

Anyway, like you say, we'll see. :-)

---