Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New alliances (PR#8394)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:14:45 -0700

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> All actions are "Proposed" but not executed until some sort of
> collective decision is made. This could be as soon as a majority
> of alliance members agree with it. The proposal is removed when a
> majority disagrees with it. Agreeing is clicking on a Yes/Abstain/No
> button set in a list of currently active proposals.
>
> Note, this is compatible with a fixed leader scenario, as the fixed
> leader is the one able to make the decision to execute. What one is
> adding is a 2-phase step here, proposal and execute, where the
> proposal stage has finite lifetime and visibility to all players
> before it is actually committed. One can have different ways to
> commit based on the alliance flavour one eventually chooses.
> One of the actions that should be always available should be a proposal
> to select a new leader. As soon as this gains a super-majority, or
> majority, there would be a new leader election. One could have term
> leaders (1-10 turns, for instance) as an alternative, but I like the
> "recall" element presentin a continually available leadership proposal.

These are all interesting ideas. Once you have organization-alliances
there are a lot of new possibilities. However! All the above ideas require
a lot more code, and I do not want them be part of the first patch.

So we should separate here between ideas for future implementation and
what is necessary for a first minimal implementation.

I hope that we can add a GUI for voting for server settings/commands, and
once that is implemented, it should not be too hard to add voting for some
alliance decisions. I do not even know what such a GUI should look like,
though, and I have no immediate plans to code it.

  - Per